Thursday, July 17, 2008

Three little words

My dad caught wind of the miserable situation we're in and called me yesterday.  I'm not sure why I didn't just call him a long time ago and tell him myself.  I don't know.  My dad and I have an....interesting relationship.  I love him dearly, and I know he loves me, too.  We're just...distant with each other.  It's complicated.

ANYway, he called me yesterday and left me a message.  It was something like, "Hi Diane. Heard about the hard time you're having lately.  I'm trying to get ahold of you.  Give me a call please.....*pause*....I love you."

Gasp! 

I love you.

Sadly, I don't hear that from my dad very often.  If fact, I don't remember the last time.  (Admittedly, I don't tell him nearly enough either.)  But he said it to me!  Even if it was just on my voice mail.  My heart leapt when I heard those words.  I love you!

So today, I've played that message to myself several times.  Just so I could hear that last part.  That 'I love you' from my dad.  It's funny, isn't it?  I'm 39 years old.  But still, I just want approval and love from my dad.  I don't think that ever goes away.

It also makes me realize that I need to mend some fences.  I need to make things right with my dad and I.  I've been carrying around some.....I don't even know what they are.  Some issues.  And I know it's time to figure out what those are and put them to rest. 

Anyway.

Today I did call my dad back.  And talked to him for a while about what he's been doing, and also about the craphole my life is in.  And then at the end?  I said, "Thank you so much for calling.  I love you, Dad."

And he said, "I know.  And I love you, too."

3 comments:

Mary said...

It makes us pause and consider how important it is that we say it to our own kids, huh? I never ever heard those three words from either my mother or father. I wonder if I will hear it from them in heaven?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that reminds me of when my girls were really little and we were visiting my mom. We would give the girls kisses and tell them we love them and Mom would ask us why we say I Love You all the time. That has always stood out in my mind.

Mary said...

PS...still prayin for D's shingles.