Thursday, July 10, 2008

I STILL have goose bumps

I had a total God moment today. At the grocery store. And I know I'll never be the same.

Cole and I were standing in the check-out line. I was in a terrible mood. My back was killing me. I injured it a couple of days ago hauling feed sacks, and it was throbbing. I was mentally going over each item in my grocery cart trying to discern if we really needed it. (Since my husband lost his job, this is what I do. Do we NEED that? Can we do without the expensive salad dressing? Peanut butter? We can do without that, can't we? Can we manage without those crackers? How 'bout the coffee? UM HELLO? No. WE NEED THE COFFEE.) Anyhoo, I'm doing this with each item in the cart, and I'm ticked that I have to do this in the first place.

Then I hear the most beautiful humming behind me. Actually, it was half humming half singing. (I couldn't place the song then, but I later figured out it was "On My Knees" by Nicole C. Mullen. Ironically - my new favorite singer!) So I turned around to see a girl in her mid-twenties or so. She was going through a wad of food stamps, only pausing to stroke her son's hair who's sitting in her cart. Her son looked to be about 5. And he had Down's Syndrome. The woman was smiling and humming and stroking her son's head. And smiling and thumbing through food stamps. I smiled, too, and turned back around to look at Cole.

And Cole, wise beyond his years at the age of 8 says to me, simply, "Mom? You need to buy her groceries."

There were 2 things that struck me right then as he said that. #1: To my knowledge, Cole does not have a clue what food stamps are. He's never seen them. He had no reason to believe that this woman and her son were struggling worse than we were... financially and in other ways maybe too. And #2? I had the very same thought right at the moment Cole said those words.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I needed to buy her groceries. I did. It hit me as soon as I saw her and her sweet son. God wanted me to buy her groceries. He wanted me to do it now, and there was no question.

This doesn't happen to me very often. When I come to a crossroads, and there is more than one path to travel, I don't usually know - I mean really KNOW - which way is God's will. I pray and pray, but rarely is there a clear answer. I realize that many times there is more than one right way. And I know that most times I figure out later that the path I choose was indeed God's will. But it's not usually a crystal clear thing for me. You know?

But today, there was absolutely zero room for interpretation. I knew. My job was to buy this woman's groceries. And so I did. Even though I didn't know where the money was coming from. Even though there is nothing coming in. Even though I pinch pennies at every turn to provide for my own family. Even though all of that - I still did.

The funny part was afterwards, as she was thanking me profusely, it was like, she also knew I was supposed to buy her groceries. It was as if we both knew, and she was just so thankful that I listened.

As we were walking out of the store, I had the most incredible feeling. It was like we were part of a much bigger plan. God used me! - little insignificant ME to carry out something He needed done. I felt honored and proud! And it was overwhelming and incredible and wonderful.

And then Cole said to me, "Mom? When God needs us to do something, we're just supposed to drop our other plans and listen. Right? Today we listened."

Yep. That's right. Exactly right. Today we listened. And, I'll never be the same.

I can be in a crowd,
or by myself.
and almost anywhere,
when I feel, there's a need
to talk with God, he is Emmanuel,
when I close my eyes,
no darkness there
there's only light.

I get on my knees
I get on my knees
there I am before the Love that changes me
see I don't know how, but there's power
in the blue sky
in the midnight
when I’m on my knees
I get on my knees
I get on my knees
and there I am before the Love that changes me
See I don't know how, but there's power
when I’m on my ooh,
when I’m on my,
When I'm on my knees.

~ Nicole C. Mullen's "On My Knees"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goose bumps here too. I've always told you that I thought Cole could hear God and that I think he sees Angels. I'm glad you heard Him too. Thank you for telling us about this. :)

Mary said...

Awwww, now I've got tears and goose bumps too. Know what my first thought was? You and Cole both have the same Holy Spirit working within you. That's why!

Love your blogging, Di. You are an awesome Woman.

Lynn said...

These are the things of life that keep us CLOSE to the Lord, and make us humble. And when shared, encourages the brethren.

It's so interesting as I think back and remember a number of things we were called upon by the Lord to do, when we were in the midst of no job, no monies coming in, (NO WAY!!) They don't make sense in our human minds!! God sometimes doesn't make sense!

If you have ever studied the "Experiencing God" book by Henry Blackaby, this is just the kind of thing he thrives on sharing with us in the book. God does unexpected things in unexpected ways, and uses unexpected people, and accomplishes impossible and far reaching things - all of which often do not make (human) sense - and HE ALLOWS US TO PARTICIPATE (IF WE ARE WILLING.)And by being willing, we receive a tremendous blessing and our faith is encouraged and enlarged by leaps and bounds.

It's a beautiful and humbling thing to realize the moments He allows us to participate with Him, in GOD-SIZED work.

You will never forget this! I have a number of these moments stored in my heart - memorial stones as the Israelites called them, so that we not forget what God has done.

Bless you. HE IS WITH YOU THROUGH THE TRIALS. That was the greatest thing I learned in my distress of nearly 17 months of no salary and nothing in reserves, for our family of 7. He really will provide, and though it is scary, it is also exciting and faithbuilding to watch just how He can provide!

XOXOX

Red Letter girl said...

There's more than one Holy Spirit? I never knew!

I need to be behind someone hearing the voice of God too. It's just that kind of day.

Tracey said...

Hi Diane! I got here from Tania's. What an inspiring story. I now have googe bumps too. Blessings!