Tuesday, July 29, 2008

And you think YOUR neighbors are irritating...

I love where I live. I truly do. I love looking out of my front window and seeing cows instead of houses. I know this life isn't for everybody. But for me? I love it!

We live directly across the street from a dairy pasture. This is what I see when I pull out of my driveway. Cows and more cows!

Ummm...But, we also see this sometimes:

What is that... a sprinkler?

Yeah. It's a sprinkler alright. But that ain't water. No. It sure isn't.

It's cow manure. Yep. You heard me. Right across the street from our house, at this very moment is a sprinkler out of which cow crap is SPRAYING.

And spraying and spraying. Can't cha just SMELL it? I can. Wooo. And it's ripe, lemme tell ya.

A couple times a year we have to endure this. The dreaded cow crap sprinkler.

The windows get sealed tight. The kids play in the BACKyard instead of the front. I burn copious amount of candles in the house to mask the smell. But you know what? It's ok. I STILL love where I live.

Wanna come over?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

hmmm... our dog got sprayed in the face last week by a skunk... I feel like I can smell it everywhere now... not sure which is worse... cow manure or skunk... but I'm pretty sure they are BOTH a result of the fall!

jen said...

Ha! You see cows, I see bank robbers. But that's a story for my own blog....

My sister used to have a hog farm in Iowa and dreaded the days the wind came from a certain direction, blowing that... pig smell... right toward the house. But she still loved the farm life!

Mary said...

So, um, I'm trying to understand the purpose of the cow poop sprinkler. To get rid of their large pile of poop by spraying it out as fertilizer? On their own property? Right? Uhg! Yes, I can smell it.

Diane said...

Right, Mary. The dairy farmers spray the manure get rid of it. They 'stock pile' it all year into these huge mounds in their fields. Then in the summer they spray it all over to get rid of it. There are certain ecology rules that they just can't let it run off all year.