Sunday, June 29, 2008

Women of Faith

Friday night and all day Saturday, I went to the Women of Faith conference. I have to admit - I was a little nervous. I didn't know what to expect. I was hoping it wasn't going to be a bunch of superficial-let's-all-hug-and-instantly-become-best-friends sort of thing.

(Because to be honest? I've been to women's retreats like that. And yeah....Ick. Not my cup of tea. You know what I mean...let's all go around the room and share our deepest most sacred secret. And then make a joke or two about PMS and chocolate cravings. And pretend not only that none of us have brains, but that we're all the same and part of a special sisterhood now. Bleh.) Ha ha - yeah I guess I was pretty cynical, wasn't I? Heh.

But anyhoo. This conference was nothing like that. It was good. It really really was. My tank was EMPTY. Running on FUMES. But the speakers and the music...just really filled me up. I could feel Jesus' presence in the people there, in the messages, and it helped me. I'm sooooo very glad I went. I think I'll go next year, too!

I really enjoyed all the speakers and just loved the music. But the singer whom I now love? After hearing her sing, and learning about the things she does? Nicole C. Mullen. This girl is totally incredible. Not only is her voice just... amazing, but the ministries she's involved with are awe-inspiring. Her main passion is working to help free the Trokosi slaves held captive in Ghana, West Africa. She didn't talk much about that, so I've been googling and researching to find out more...

But also, for about the last 13 years or so, she has been heading up a mentor program, called the Baby Girls Club. She takes these inner-city youth, and teaches them, guides them, and ministers to them...and they go on tour with her! They go on stage and dance and sing with her! They also quote memorized scripture and they share their newfound faith.

It was amazing. I teared up a few times (Yeah, shutup. Doesn't take much) watching the happiness on these girls' faces as they danced and sang up there with Nicole C. Mullen. So very cool. These kids are never going to forget this experience! It was just so inspiring. She made me want to reach outside myself and look beyond me. Beyond my little world.

So anyway. My weekend was awesome. Hope yours was, too.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

This post reminds me of that old song... "here's my cup Lord, fill it up Lord.." :)

I'm glad you went too! And I had to laugh at your commentary of some prior conferences you've attended. Do these people throw off those masks once back at home, or back in their hotel rooms? Hmmm...

Have a good rest of the weekend!
Hugs
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane, I came from Mary's. I have been to many WOF conferences and I was at last years in Anaheim CA and heard Nicole C. Mullen. I alreay had a couple of her cd's and I am glad she has joined the team. I enjoyed the pictures you shared. I have also been to many women's retreats and most women enjoyed them. I am sure there are different experiences.