Monday, June 30, 2008

And the hits just keep on comin...

Ever notice that the things you fear will happen in life... seem to happen?  Or maybe that's just me.  I don't know.  But all the things I've ever feared my whole entire adult life?  Have happened ALL in the last month.

I found out yesterday that my husband lost his job.  On top of everything else.  It was nothing he did wrong.  It's just the line of work he's in.  Or WAS in.  It's in the toilet.  And so we're done. 

I don't even know what to say.  It's been one thing after another.  I feel like I've been punched in the stomach.  I wake up with fear and dread EVERY morning.  I wonder how we'll make it.  I wonder what will happen to us.  I wonder what's in store for us. The uncertainty is killing me.

But the thing is?  I know we'll be ok.  I know we won't end up homeless or something.  I know God will provide a roof over our head and food to eat.  We may lose our house.  We may lose material possessions.  But I know we'll survive and we will make it.  We're both college-educated intelligent adults.  We should be able to come up with some way to make it.

But.... I don't understand it.  I know that I'm still in the shock stage.  I'm shocked, and yes, I'm pissed off.  Why is this happening?  Why all of this all right now?  All at once?  I don't know.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3: 5-6

That verse keeps playing over and over in my head.  But I laugh.  My own understanding?  There is NO understanding.  I don't get it.  Perhaps there's no sense in expending energy on that.  I keep focused on surviving day to day right now.  Keeping it together.  Keeping my kids together.  It seems that's my role.  That's all I do.  And I'm tired.

You know what's funny though?  People.  Friends and family.  When we tell them what's going on, they say things like, "Maybe it's for the best."  FOR THE BEST?  Yeah. Ok. Easy for YOU to say.  Yeah, it's for the BEST that our lives are in the toilet.  It's for the BEST that my son is in pain every day with no way to help him.  It's for the BEST that we're in debt up to our eyeballs and my husband just lost his job.  It's for the BEST that my husband has ongoing health problems and soon-to-be no health insurance.  And a bunch of other crap that I don't feel comfortable saying here.  People used to say that years ago when we went through years and years of infertility issues.  "Yeah maybe it's for the best that God didn't give you a child."  No.  Don't tell me that.  That makes no one feel better.  Except maybe you.  I know you don't know what else to say sometimes.  I know you don't mean to make people feel badly.  But please.  Don't tell me all of this is for 'the best.' 

Yeah, I know this is all a part of God's plan.  I know we go through hard times and we come out on the other side better stronger people.  I get that.  I know that's probably what you mean when you say it's for 'the best.'  But you know what?  Tell me it's going to be ok.  Tell me that yeah, it's going to be hard but we'll make it through.  Tell me that God has us all cradled in His loving arms, and that He'll carry us through. 

Yeah, I know I seem angry.  I AM angry.  I'm ticked this is happening.  I'm a good person.  I wake up every day and find ways to be more Christ-like.  I use my energy and resources and money to find ways to help others.  I don't think I'm a greedy person.  I would like to think I do more good than harm in this world with the things God has given me.  Why is it being taken away?  All at once?  I wish I knew. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3: 5-6

I'm tired.  But I'm trying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rom 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Rom 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Rom 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

Diane,
I love you and your husband and your kids. I know it will be ok. We are praying.

Anonymous said...

"I wake up with fear and dread EVERY morning."

(2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

(Psalm 91:10-11 KJV)
(10) There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. (11) For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

(Isaiah 54:14 KJV)
In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.

(Psalm 56:11 KJV)
In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

John 14:27 KJV
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

(Psalm 27:1,3 KJV)
(1) The Lord {is} my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord {is} the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
(3) Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this {will} I {be} confident.

Mary said...

Di, I just got back from a trip, so I'm a little late responding. I just wanted you to know I'm here and amazed at what is happening in your life. I'm thinking back on our conversation of whether God will allow more than one can bear in a life, and I'm seeing it once again.

I am so sorry, dear friend. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you. I want to find a magic pill to give you that if you swallow it, all problems will melt away. If I could I would do that.

Since I can't I'm just here praying along side of you.

God be with my dear young friend as she continues to shelter her family in her arms. Give her the strength she needs to make it hour to hour and day by day in this world. Give her your assurance that you are there walking along side of her. Fill her heart with love and faith in you and with the knowledge that you truly do care about every hair on the head of each one of those in her family.

I'm remembering that angel who spoke to you a week or so ago. She was sure right. You will gain wisdom in this trial so you can give to others! He's going to use you some day big time. In the mean time, it's OK to be broken. You're doing great! Your anger is justified and heard by God. Even Job said "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Nevertheless I will argue my ways before Him..." Job 13:15.

I love you, dear friend!

Mary said...

PS

By the way, it amazes me how many people haven't read the end of Job. Please be sure to do that when you get some free time, K?

Lova ya, sis!

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I have read this post several times now. I am just so sorry that you are going through all that you are. I don't know what to say. I want to make it all go away for you and it hurts that I can't.

I agree with Mary's prayer. And you ARE doing a wonderful job of keeping it together, even though you may not think so.

Please call me when you get a few minutes. I think about you all day long and am sending up prayers throughout the day as well.