Monday, June 16, 2008

Double Digit

Dear Alexandra,

Wow. Today you are 10. My baby girl is ten! I can't hardly believe it. This whole weekend I've been watching you run around with your brothers, laughing, soooo excited that school was out. Ha ha! What a beautiful girl you've turned into, Lexi!

Wasn't it just yesterday that you were born? It seems that way to me. I was so excited to have a baby daughter! Remember when you were real little, you used to chant, "Mommy is the best friend, Mommy is the best friend..." Ha ha! I loved every minute of it. I hope you're still chanting that in a few short years when you're a teenager.














I love the person you are, Lexi. I love how strong and opinionated and sure-of-yourself you are. Because sometimes you're everything I wish I was. I love your sense of humor, and I love your command of the English language. (Even at 8-years-old. Remember when you said, "Oh, Mom, you're being cantankerous!" And before I could scold you, I had to look that word up. Ha.)

I like that you still need me. Even though you're Daddy's girl sometimes, I like that I'm your first choice for a bad dream or hurt feelings. I like the way you come to me and say, "Mom. I need to talk to you in private." I smile inside. Because I know I'm about to hear about troubles you're having with a friend at school, or an unfair teacher, or how mad your brothers make you. I smile because I love these talks we have. I love that you feel so comfortable telling me everything. I hope that lasts forever.

I am amazed at your work ethic. You're just like your daddy in that way. You will stack wood, pull weeds, or muck the pig house until the job is done. I remember once you told me, "Mom? I don't understand how the boys can walk away from a job before it's done. For me, I just don't feel right until the job is COMPLETE." Yep. That's been you since the day you were born. And I admire you for it. (But ummmm...could you apply a little of that to your messy room?)

This year, when I asked you what you wanted for your birthday, I was shocked in a bittersweet way, at your answer. I expected to hear barbies or doll clothes or even maybe riding boots - as in past years. But instead you said you wanted a pretty summer outfit and a room make-over. (Oh, and a cell phone...NOT happening, by the way.) My little girl is growing up!

Lexi, I could never put into words how much I love you. I love the memories of the little girl you were, and I love the young lady you are becoming. You are one of the many true blessings I have in my life. I will love you always no matter what. No matter what you do, where you go, who you love, what you look like, or what you believe.

Happy birthday, my sweet, strong, smart, lovely 10-year-old girl. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and start the next year of your life.

Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful post, Di. What a blessing you are to your family and to your kids.

Happy Birthday Lexi. I wish I could meet you. Maybe some day.

Love, Mary

Lynn said...

What a pretty girl! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lexi!

I just saw the post below, with the pictures of the dead bees - how sad. : ( Hopefully the other bees will thrive.

Ya'll be good - see you again soon.
Love
Lynn