Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Tale of 2 Boys...and of a Mother's Tears

First, a tale of two boys:

BOY #1
: There is a 10-year old boy that just started at our school this week. His name is Mark, and he's in 4th grade. His story is very sad. He has lived in Texas all of his life. His mom got sick, was on life support for a bit, and then tragically, died last week leaving Mark an orphan. His half-sister (a grown woman) who'd he only met a handful of times, went down to Texas to bury her mother. She soon realized that her half-brother Mark had no one left in this world. So this sister, a single parent, took Mark back to this state to live with her and her 5-year old son. This 5-year old is a student here at our school, so she enrolled Mark here, as well.

Mark started school Monday, which also happened to be his 10th birthday. As you can imagine, he's a very sad boy. He's very quiet and shy. He doesn't interact with the other kids. He doesn't play at recess. He's a very heartbroken, defeated, overwhelmed little boy.

Boy #2: This is my boy, my 7-year old son, Cole. If you've read my blog before, you probably know that Cole is a goof-ball. Unlike my older two children, Cole is not a Rule Follower. (Remember the Butt Crack song? That's just a taste of Cole's antics.) Cole is the source of many a gray hair on my head (and lots more to come, I'm sure.) He tends to get in trouble at school. Not terrible trouble. He doesn't do malicious things. He just.....likes to entertain. He will risk getting in trouble for a few laughs. Not many people know that Cole also has a heart of gold. Under all that goofiness, he's very sweet.

Ok, so back to Boy #1, Mark. As you can imagine, we pray for Mark at home. A lot. I have a tender spot for him, and several times a day, I put my work at school on hold, and go and check on Mark. I usually find him alone and lost in his own thoughts. Considering everything he has been through just in the last couple of weeks, he's doing pretty well, but still, he's very very sad.

So yesterday, apparently, Cole wrote Mark a note and gave it to him at recess. (Keep in mind that Cole is a 2nd grader, and Mark, a 4th grader.) Mark was thrilled with the note and told his teacher about it. The teacher did not see the note & misunderstood why Mark was telling her about it. She thought he was upset, so wanting to protect Mark, she told Cole's teacher. Cole's teacher also incorrectly assumed that this must not be a good note, and she told the principal.

I found out about all of this when the story reached the principal. (Still, only a story. An incorrect story. With no note to back it up.) My heart broke in two. I was so sad and disappointed that the automatic assumption was that this note must be mean, without even seeing it, or talking to Mark or Cole. So, I tracked down this elusive note and read it for myself.

Now comes a Mother's tears.

Here is Cole's note, word for word:

Dear Mark,
Well I was just wondering if we can be frends because you are new here and it is your second day right? You don't seem like you have much frends so I want to be your new freind. Pretend it is yesterday so I can say Happy Birthday! You are speshal to me and did you know also to Jesus? I want to play with you at recess. Meet me on the playground and we'll play a fun game I know ok? I can't wait to start being your freind.

Your New Second Grade Freind,
Cole
Yes, I tell you, tears streamed down my face as I read this beautiful little note. What a wonderful way to reach out to this boy. If only people could see Cole the way that I do. If only they could see this generous act of kindness offered to a despairing boy that needed it so.

Today I heard that now Cole and Mark have started playing. And the recess teachers tell me that for the first time, Mark has started smiling. He is excited to play with his New Second Grade Friend.

Later, after composing myself, I told Cole how so very proud I am of him. I told him how special this note was to Mark, and what a wonderful thing he did to reach out and make a friend with this new boy.

Cole was confused. He didn't understand why I even brought it up. To him, this note was a no-brainer.

He said, "But Mom. I have Jesus in my heart. This is what you do when you have Jesus in your heart. You help people that are hurting."

And the tears began flowing again.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

My goodness! I WOULD have to come in for a visit on THIS post! LOL! :"/ It bout broke my heart to read of all the troubles this young man is enduring. BLESS HIS HEART! I have a 10 yr old and I can't even imagine how painful this would all be for her, were it happening to her.

This is enough to sink any child. But praise be to Jesus - He has His ambassadors in all places, even in the depths of pain and sorrow and dispair! I can just imagine how this little boy's heart soared when someone reached out to let him know he was not alone. You have to tell Cole it is a very big deal because he was willing to be the hands, the feet, the heart of Jesus embracing a hurting child. WHAT A SWEETIE!

I hope this little boy will find lots of love in his new life.

So you've been a lurker at my place over the years, huh? Well why didn't you just say HI!? LOL!

I've been pretty well worn down over the past couple of years which led to a mental shutdown and the inability to sit down to write, even though I knew there were friends who cared. Things are still very trying in my life, but I felt encouraged to start writing a little bit again, without putting pressure on myself... just a little outlet where I can get away from the things going on around me... and have a little communication with friends again.

So, yes.... I'mmmmm Back! : )
You're welcome to link up with me.

See you again soon!
Hugs
Lynn

Lynn said...

PS!!
I can't say I lurked for years, but recently when I visited Mary I saw a sweet comment to her, from you. So I did pop over to see how you were doing! Hee hee..

Mary said...

Oh, Di,

Now I'm crying too. That COLE. What a sweet spirit he has got. He is surely the Apple of God's eye. I KNOW he is yours. As are all of your lively and loving brood! They're reflecting aren't they? Love of God and their Parents

Love, Mary

PS Is the the same Cole that says, "Wanna smell my finger?"?

Unknown said...

The tears are flowing here too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me cry sister! It's not like I need help in that department . . . Of course, I've known about Cole's heart for a very long time. I also know Gage and Lexi have the same love for others. Cole is right, it's a no-brainer. It's so humbling to be taught so much by a 2nd grader. I can't wait to tell this story to Katelyn and Christina! Yes Mary, that is indeed the same Cole. Um . . . in case you're wondering . . . I did not smell it. We'll say some prayers for Mark and his new family in Washington state as well as prayers of thanks for Cole and his family. :) You are wonderful parents! Love to you!