Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's Make Up a Day, Go Out and Buy Flowers and Call it a Holiday, Shall We?

Ok.  So yesterday was Secretary's Day.  Or I guess it's now called "Administrative Assistant's" Day or "Administrative Professional's" Day.  Yeah, whatever. 

Sigh.

I will admit it - I hate Secretary's Day.  I do.  Part of this hatred stems from the fact that this is yet another irritating, ridiculous, made-up "holiday" that Hallmark created.  Another reason this day bothers me?  Well, because I never thought I'd be a secretary, and sometimes I can't get my brain around that I AM a secretary.  (By the way, this in no way is meant to degrade secretaries or administrative assistants or WHATEVER.  I am one, remember?)  Anyhoo, I didn't go to college to become a secretary.  I didn't get a Microbiology degree to become a secretary.  When I was a little girl, I didn't sit and dream of becoming a secretary.  (I know - this sounds awful.  It sounds like I'm being condescending toward secretaries.  That's not really what I want to do.  Really.  I DO think I make a difference in the lives of children here.  Don't believe me?  Read this post from last month.  But I'm saying I don't really want a day to point out that yes, indeed, I am a secretary.)

Ok.

So, yesterday, no one even remembered it was Secretary's Day.  Thank you, God.  Well, no one EXCEPT one of the third grade classes.  The students in that class made me some cards.  They drew me pictures, and wrote me lovely things.  And, oh my!  Some made me laugh out loud and some even made me cry.  Here are some, word for word:

IMG_1593


"You are cute like this cat I drew. I wanted to buy you a cat but really where would I get the money?  I'm a kid remember? And your a secretary. And a pretty good one. But a cat would NOT be. Becase they can't type or get out band-aides."

 

"Thank you for all you do for us and you are the best ever. You sit in the office all day.  Gees you do that a lot. Don't you need a break? Why don't you take one for once. Today would be good for that."

 

"Happy birthd  Happy Secretary Day. I hope you have a good day. I hope you have a good week.  Heck I hope you have a great life."

 
And my favorite...

"Thank you for being are secretary. It must take a lot of coordination.  Did you go to school for that?  What. you got up one day and said hello I want to be the secretary at the best school ever?  ___yes  ___no  Well that's great.  Well I think I want to be one. If my mom allowed it maybe I could. Do you hafe to buy your own ice packs and bandaides?  And your computer to?  What. you just go in the store and say i am a secretary and need a computer. Oh I don't have that kind of money.  I only get $3 for allowence.  You sure give out alot of ice packs. And hugs. Doesn't this ever get tiring?  Or what. You hugged me after i gotted my splinter taken out. Remember God and Jesus love you"


I may have to change my stance on Secretary's Day because these cards are the best, aren't they?!  sig

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! If the first kid only knew about your cat situation already . . .
There is no degree program that teaches you how to hug. :)

Stephanie said...

Found you via Delightful Blogs, and HAD to comment on that first child's card! So funny! I laughed and laughed.

Also, I know what you mean about doing what you hadn't planned on doing. I was a teacher for several years, and then took a break and ended up finding myself waitressing. It was an odd time for me, working towards my graduate degree in education, and yet not finding myself in that field at all. Nothing against waitressing, except that's not what I thought I'd be doing!

Lynn said...

Awww, from the mouths of babes.... it's wonderful to get a glimpse inside their minds and hearts.

Tomorrow's FRIDAY... and then you get that break! LOL!!

Be good!
Lynn