Friday, May 9, 2008

Helping those who need AND want it!

Ok, so we all know that teachers don't make much money. And at private schools (at least the private school where I work) they make JACK SQUAT. (FYI - that's my new favorite saying...JACK SQUAT. I say it as often as I can.)

ANYway, most teachers at my school are married, and so even though they don't make much, they're able to combine it with their spouse's income, and be ok. But there are a few single teachers here, and for them, it's very tough to make rent and all the rest of their bills. With rising gas prices and food bills, it's nearly impossible.

There's one single teacher in particular that really struggles. She's young - in her early 20's, and just got her first apartment. She resorts to eating top ramen and mac & cheese because she just can't afford anything else. She owns one dress, and she wears it every Friday for chapel. She doesn't participate with the other teachers when they chip in for take-out because she literally does not have the money. Sometimes she has to borrow money for gas because she simply doesn't have the money to fill up her tank to get home from work. But I never hear her complaining! She seems to be happy working here because she is sure she is making a difference in the lives of the children here. And I know she is.

Ok, so in all my wisdom, I decided last week that I would help this teacher. So, I put a grocery store gift card in her mailbox here at school. I did this because I wanted to help! I was sure she would be blessed by this gift of mine. I didn't put my name...I wanted to remain anonymous. (Well, it's not really anonymous now that I'm telling the entire Internet, but I'm telling you not to toot my own horn, but because I'm about to make a point. Really I am.) Anyway, I wanted to help her buy some decent groceries for once. To take a break from top ramen and get something GOOD!

Alrighty. Well, my plan backfired. She came to me in the office yesterday and asked, "Do you know who put this gift card in my box?"

I said, "I'm sure it's someone who knew you've been struggling lately and wanted to help!"

And she said, "Well, please tell that person thank you, but no thanks. It makes me sad that I appear to be struggling. I'm really not. I appreciate that someone wanted to help me. That's really sweet. But I'm excited to be out on my own, and I want make my own way. I don't want to appear ungrateful. But there are a lot of people that don't even have a roof over their head or a job to go to every day. Please tell the person that gave me this gift card to please help them! Help someone who is truly struggling in this world. That would be make me happy."

Wow.

It's all in perspective, isn't it?!

Not everyone that we perceive as "struggling" wants help. I completely respect that! And from now on, I will try and figure out if the want is there before I give to someone who I think must need the help.

By the way, I took this teacher's advice! I used the money and made a loan to an entrepreneur on KIVA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, your heart is in the right place. But even though you tried to bless her, she ended up blessing you! (which in turn blessed us)

Red Letter girl said...

It's a bummer to me that she couldn't be grateful and think of SOMETHING to do with it...she could have given it away in turn.

This is probably why more people don't get involved with one another - the fear of backfire!

I'm proud of you...and will ALWAYS accept your gift cards (or OG!).

Mary said...

The same thing happened to me Di, about 3 years ago. A man in our bible study was praying for help for his wife who was struggling with pain from her arthritis and there was this certain financial amount he needed to have for some reason to qualify to get the expensive medicine at a reduced price. I can't remember the details right now, but I gave to him by contacting his church secretary and made arrangements for him to receive it anonymously through that avenue. He refused for some righteous reason, I forget now and I got my check back and learned a lesson in the bargain.

I'm thinking I forgot to pray first before offering my gift. There's a big difference between being called to do it by God and doing it totally on our own. This was my big lesson for that year as a single woman.