Friday, May 30, 2008

Gifts come in interesting packages sometimes

Today, during chapel, a third grader got up and came over to me at the back of the gym.  This kid is a very quiet studious little guy.  He whispered to me that he thought he was sick and needed to call his mom.  So I whispered back, "What's wrong?"

Him:  "I think I might have the plague."

Ha ha.  I almost laughed.  It would have been much funnier, except this kid was dead serious.  And very worried about himself.  I found out later that the third grade has been studying the plague in history.

Me:  "Don't worry, buddy.  I'm positive you don't have the plague."

Him:  "How can you be sure?  I really don't feel good."

Me:  "Trust me.  There hasn't been a case of the plague in this country for a long long time."

Him:  "Ok, well then it's West Nile."

Me:  "The West Nile Virus?  No, really.  I don't think you have anything like that."

Him:  "But you can't be absolutely positive.  I feel dizzy and sick."

Me:  "Were you playing on the tire swing at recess maybe?"

Him:  "Yes, actually I was. I was spinning around.  And that's when I starting feeling sick."

Me:  "Ok.  Well I'm thinking that's why you're feeling dizzy.  Spinning around on a tire swing will do that."

Him:  Still not convinced  "But you really don't KNOW for sure.  There has to be some sort of test to make sure I don't have those diseases."

Me:  "Ok, tell you what.  I'm going to hold up some fingers and you tell me how many you see...."

Him:  "I see 4 fingers..."

Me:  "Ok!!!  There ya go.  You're right.  People with the plague or West Nile Virus would have said 5.  You're FINE, buddy!  Go back and sit down with your class.  You're gonna be just fine!"

Him:  "WHEW!  What a RELIEF!!"

 

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have lied to him.  But I soooo wanted to comfort him.  I wanted him to STOP worrying.  There are so many other things he needs to focus on.  Worrying about whether he has a disease or not is not one of those things.  (And also?  I could relate to this kid.  I am a worrier.  I may not worry whether I have a disease or whatever, but I tend to worry about stuff.  And this kid reminded myself of meeeee.)

Anyway.

Right there during chapel, I started thinking....I bet God does that.  I bet He sits up in heaven and watches us worry about things and I bet it seems ridiculous to Him, just like this kid worrying about the plague seemed ridiculous to me.  I bet God wants to go - "Hey!  Will you STOP?  I am in control.  You have so many other things you need to be doing.  So many things I have planned for you.  You have things I want you to focus on right now.  And worrying about things you have NO control over is NOT one of them!" 

So yeah.  This little West Nile plague kid gave me a gift this morning.  And since I have some struggles I'm dealing with right now, it was given just at the right time. 

1 comments:

Samantha said...

Love it! You have an amazing gift for words.

Thanks for this reminder...