Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ah-Ha

The other day I had a 'ding ding ding' moment. (Insert lightbulb here.) Oprah calls them 'Ah-Ha' moments. You know what I mean. And, I can't stop thinking about it.

There's a benefit for which I was seriously thinking of raising money and getting involved with. But, recently someone told me that this particular benefit event supports an organization that I don't... how should I say this.... Let's just say that this organization does things that I don't agree with. (I strongly disagree with...) As my friend RLG pointed out though, they also do many wonderful things. But I can't get past the other. (And keep in mind, it's only a rumor right now. Don't worry. I'm checking it out for myself. I'm waiting for a response from these people.)

ANYway (yeah, I know I ramble) I was talking to RLG (actually we were IM'ing each other) and something she said (typed) really made me think. She said something like, "Well it's real easy to jump on the bandwagon and protest the "sinners." But are YOU doing everything you can - to actually do what Jesus asks of you?" (Yeah, I know I butchered that. I can feel RLG cringing. She said it a lot more eloquently.)

But she made me think. It IS so easy to point the finger at what I think everyone else is doing wrong. I could say, yeah they're bad. Ooooh, look at them and how bad they are. And leave it at that.

That's easy.

BUT, what about me?

I could list all the things I think I'm doing to help the poor, the less fortunate, the disenfranchised. (That was my first reaction to RLG - to be defensive. To say, hey! Look at all the things I am doing.) But a list would be pointless. Because if I look at myself, I know that I am not doing everything I can. Not even close. (Are any of us?)

So yeah. If I find out that this benefit event supports the organization I don't agree with, I can't be a part of it. (On this, I believe RLG and I disagree.) I just will not throw money at something, and support what I'm opposed to. But I CAN and WILL do more of what I'm asked to do. What Jesus tells me to do. So thank you RLG! I appreciate the reminder. :)

(Ummm, but don't get too excited. I'm not gonna run out and become a democrat or anything. So don't go getting crazy and buy me an Obama shirt or something.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTAH!

Red Letter girl said...

This is funny - you make me sound so Red Letter!

Anyhow, I am proud of your "stance" whether or not I agree with it - and proud of your realization that our battle is not with flesh and blood...