Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Derek & Diane...the early years...Part 2

Did you miss Part 1? Click here or just scroll down...

Ok, so the first date:

I gave Derek my phone number that day by our lockers. Later that night after football practice, he called me. I remember it was a great conversation. I don't remember exactly what we talked about, but I do remember he was very easy to talk to. We decided that we would go out to dinner that Saturday night and see a movie afterwards.

When Saturday finally rolled around, I was incredibly nervous! I remember my Mom and Step-Dad were on a camping trip so only my brother and I were home. I spent most of the day trying to figure out what to wear and how to do my hair. Ha ha!

I also remember he was late picking me up. We lived on an island and the roads meandered along with no rhyme or reason. It was very difficult to navigate addresses. So Derek got sort of lost (even though he denies that part. Ha!) Anyway, so he picked me up in his old red pick-up. I remember the inside of the truck had a wonderful vanilla/coconut scent. It must have been an air freshener of some sort. But to this day, I LOVE that smell! (Another thing I remember about that pick-up? When he stopped to gas it up, he also had to add a quart of oil. Every time!)

So our first stop was the restaurant. It was a pretty nice restaurant called The Harvester. (Side note: we went back to that restaurant on our 3rd wedding anniversary. It was very romantic!) Anyway, I remember I ordered salmon (you can take the girl out of Alaska...) and Derek had the prime rib. The one event that stands out was what happened during dinner...the guy at the table next to us had a heart attack! It was so scary. One minute he was laughing and talking to his wife, the next moment he was clutching his chest writhing on the floor right next to us. He ended up being taken out in an ambulance. I often think about this poor man and wonder what happened to him. Anyway, so with all that going on, Derek and I didn't have a chance to talk much.

Aliens_poster So after dinner we went to see "Aliens." Ha ha! Quite the date movie, right? I don't have ANY recollection of the movie. In fact, 5 minutes after the movie, I couldn't tell you what it was about. I was so busy thinking about sitting next to Derek and whether he was going to hold my hand or not (he did.) Instead of watch the movie, I just sat there thinking, here I am sitting next to this huge 6'2" extremely good looking football player and he's holding my hand. What am I doing here? How did I get here? What is the name of this movie again? Ha.

After the movie we went to Dairy Queen. Derek bought me an ice cream cone. Awwww, very sweet. The thing I remember about that was Derek's step-dad. We were in Dairy Queen eating our cones, and we saw his step-dad go through the drive-though with his cat. IN THE CAR. The step-dad spotted us through the window, so he held up the cat and waved his paw at us. While he was driving. Derek was pretty embarrassed. But I thought it was hilarious. :)

Ok, so after ice cream, it was time to go home. We got in the truck, drove for a little ways, and... RAN OUT OF GAS! Ha ha! Can you believe it? Luckily we were near a gas station, so we walked there and called my brother. My brother came and got me and took me home. He also brought Derek a gas can of gas so he could gas up his truck. (Derek was so embarrassed! But my brother and I thought it was pretty funny.) So that was that! Our first date.

After that, Derek and I were pretty much inseparable. We went out almost every weekend. We went to prom together. At our graduation from high school, we walked arm and arm to receive our diplomas. We fell in love. :)

Little did I know what the future held...


To Be Continued...Part 3 Coming Soon..."College, the 3-year separation & Desert Storm"

1 comments:

Mary said...

Di, it's really fun reading about your first meeting and your first date. It is amazing to think you two have been friends and then married partners all that time. It must seem like you've known each other forever. Thanks for sharing these times. I'm fascinated to be reading them.

Love, M